I'm a PhD candidate in Brendan Frey's PSI group.
My research focuses on applying cutting edge machine learning techniques (specifically deep learning) to high throughput microscopy screens of cell biology. In collaboration with Charlie Boone and Brenda Andrews at the Donnelly Centre for Cellular and Biomolecular Research (CCBR), I am generating datasets and training models with millions of individual cell objects from genome wide screens in Yeast. Currently I am developing models to predict protein localization and cell cycle stage, as well as unsupervised models to identify morphological outliers and discover novel subcellular phenotypes. I received my BASc and MASc in mechanical engineering at the University of Toronto.
- Kraus, O., Frey, B. "Computer Vision for High Content Screening". Critical Reviews in Biochemistry and Molecuar Biology, Jan 2016 [link]
- Kraus, O., Ba, L., Frey, B. "Classifying Microscopy Images Using Convolutional Multiple Instance Learning". Machine Learning in Computational Biology workshop at NIPS 2015 [arxiv]
- Kraus, O., Styles, E., Ba, L., Grys, B., Andrews, B., Boone, C., Frey, B. "Deep Learning for Cellular Morphology". CIFAR Genetic Networks Program Meeting, Nov 2014 [poster]
- Kraus, O. "Outlier Detection for High-Content Cell Screening". Toronto Bioinformatics User Group, Feb 2014 [presentation]
- Kraus, O., Styles, E., Ba, L., Andrews, B., Boone, C., Frey, B. "Global Analysis of Subcellular Morphology in Saccharomyces cerevisiae". International Society for Computational Biology Conference on Regulatory and Systems Genomics, Nov 2013
- Grys, B., Friesen, H., Kraus, O., Chong, Y., Koh, J., Rosebrock, A., Moffat, J., Boone, C., Andrews, B. "Global Analysis of Protein Fluctuations Associated with Cell Cycle Progression in Saccharomyces cerevisiae". Cell Biology of Yeasts, Nov 2013
- Styles, E., Zamparo, L., Founk, K., Kraus, O., Moffat, J., Zhaolei, Z., Boone, C., Andrews, B. "A Phenomic Assessment of Sub-Cellular Morphology in S. cerevisiae using Synthetic Genetic Array and High-Content Screening". Cell Biology of Yeasts, Nov 2013
- Kraus, O. "Development of a Microfluidic Platform to Investigate Effect of Dissolved Gases on Small Blood Vessel Function".
- Apple Inc. Data Science Intern (Summer 2015)
- Computer Fundamentals (APS105) Teaching Assistant (Fall 2013; Fall 2014)
- BeneFACT Technical Writer (December 2013 - present)
- Fluid Mechanics (MIE312) Teaching Assistant (Fall 2010; Fall 2011)
- NSERC Undergraduate Summer Research Award, Engineering Services Inc (Summer 2008)
- NSERC MATCH Scholarship - graduate (2010 - 2012)
- Frank Milligan Scholarship - graduate (2010/2011)
- Aiming for the Top tuition scholarship (2006 - 2010)
- Introduction to Machine Learning
- Inference Algorithms
- Advanced Inference Algorithms
- Introduction to Computational Biology
- Advanced Cell Biology for Physical Scientists